Celtic Diva's Blue Oasis: I love it when I can mix politics and entertainment...GO CALIFORNIA!!!!

Friday, May 16, 2008

I love it when I can mix politics and entertainment...GO CALIFORNIA!!!!

So, the California Supreme Court overturned the ban on gay marriage yesterday (WOOT!)...and of course every righty wing-nut in the state is desperate to stop "the invasion of the gays!!!!"

But let's stay happy and positive right now...

So, one of my favorite entertainers ever, Ms. Ellen DeGeneres made quite a cool announcement to her audience today...per Pam's House Blend...



OK...who cried?

**raises hand**

I think it was the standing ovation that did it!


Pam also included this graph reflecting a Gallop Poll that breaks the results down regionally.

So, the pro-gay marriage Massuchusetts and California decisions match their regions, but not the country. That's not depressing, it just shows there is work to be done.

So, I paid a visit to one of my favorite, groovy little virtual towns, Bent, Alaska. (Yes, I've now officially changed the title of your blog with a comma!)

Anyway, E. Ross has a great article with a detailed description of the actual court decision plus reactions from Alaskans to the news out of CA:
Marsha Buck, Treasurer of PFLAG Juneau and Co-Chair of Alaskans Together for Equality
I am incredibly happy about the California decision! I just talked to a friend who said she and her partner spent last evening considering a trip to California to get married. They had already received a call from another couple, who are active in PFLAG Juneau, who have decided FOR SURE to go to California to be married. This good news definitely impacts us personally as Alaskans. Way to go California! I'm sending off several personal checks to make certain this decision is not overturned in November.

That sounds like great advice.

*****UPDATE*****

In the "In Case Anyone Cares" category...

I had a discussion about how I would solve the "Marriage Equality" issue and I think my solution is perfect...it would annoy the crap out of everyone!

I personally think that the government should NEVER have been in the "marriage business" as it is a religious issue.

My solution would be to make "marriage licenses" the same as "business licenses." EVERYONE should only be able to get a government license for a "Civil Union" and any two adults should be able to get one.

No one cares who your business partners are, why should the government care with whom you decide to share a household? Buying a license is business...there should be no romantic or sexual connotation drawn from getting a "civil union license." That way, elderly siblings could get a license for health care, estate and other legal issues. Two single-parent friends could get a civil union to join households and raise each others kids together. You see where I'm going with this...

In order to make it a "marriage," that would have to be done through a church...any church.

Like I said, equal upheaval for everyone!

8 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Double woot that it's civil marriage not 'civil union'. "You can have all the same stuff, just do it over there, not near us" seems an awful lot like semantic segregation.

The sad thing is though, it's likely to precipitate a surge in hate crimes from the closed-minded fools brigade :(

5/16/2008 5:23 PM  
Blogger E. Ross said...

We've had quite a week in "Bent, Alaska." LOL. Way to go Ellen! Isn't she great?

5/16/2008 11:55 PM  
Blogger CelticDiva said...

I seriously picture it like a more colorful (and much "hipper") cross between "Prarie Home Companion" and "Northern Exposure!"

Can I please redecorate your blog? **ROFLMAO**

And yes, I love Ellen...she rocks!

5/17/2008 12:34 AM  
Blogger CelticDiva said...

**waves to Grim**

5/17/2008 12:34 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

As usual, the loves are an afterthought >.>

=p

5/17/2008 2:16 AM  
Blogger Maia said...

I like your thoughts on getting the government out of the marriage business. You know, that's why, as a Catholic, I struggle with the Church's big push against legalizing gay marriage. No one is going to require the Catholic Church to grant gay couples the Sacrament of Matrimony. The Church can marry or not marry any couples it chooses. So why get so wrapped up in making sure the government doesn't grant marriages (or civil unions, or whatever) to same-sex couples? Government must not be used as a tool to impose one group's religious beliefs on another group. That's the flip side of freedom of religion.

5/17/2008 7:33 AM  
Blogger CelticDiva said...

Amen, Myster!

5/17/2008 11:13 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

The problem seems to be that when conservative folk think about freedom of religion, it really means freedom to follow their religion or 'get out you America-hater!' That's one that I've got before in online discussions >.>

5/17/2008 11:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home