Celtic Diva's Blue Oasis: This is how REAL Alaskans catch salmon!

Thursday, July 14, 2005

This is how REAL Alaskans catch salmon!

EXCELLENT article today in the Anchorage Daily News Outdoors Section on this year's set-netting season on the Kasilof. It is an annual event/gathering with Josh's family and neighbors and we started going last year. It's a way for us to get our salmon for the year in about two days. Last year we brought home 32, this year we got our full limit - 45! On the crazy fish day they talk about in the article, we hauled in over 75 fish on one tide...and that was only using 2 nets! (You can only have one net per family with a permit.)

The article really captured the festive feel of the whole thing. I saw people that I hadn't seen since last year, we get to ride 4 wheelers up and down the beach, we get to behead, de-tail and gut many, many fish at one time. (Well, that might not be a "benefit" in some people's eyes, but I like to do it!)

Anyway, only Alaskans are allowed to do this, which also gives it more of a "family" feel.

My only regret - I wish I'd remembered my gloves like the lady in this picture. My hands were really calloused for my wedding!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ewwwwwwwww! Hehehe... glad you enjoyed it. Can't see myself doing it tho. Not a seafoody kinda gal! :P

7/15/2005 5:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home