Celtic Diva's Blue Oasis: Scary changes at KUDO?

Monday, April 28, 2008

Scary changes at KUDO?


Progressive Alaska gives us the bad news about the departure of Aaron Selbig and Philip gives a disturbing analysis as to what some of the factors may have been.

The Precinct 1080 Website hasn't seen this much traffic..well...ever! It hasn't helped that Shannyn Moore's Show came on only to be a recording!

There's at least three threads running rampant on the changes happening at KUDO - much of which is rumor and speculation as NOBODY is talking (publicly). However, there are some interesting pieces that folks have put together. (Hat tips to all of the smart KUDOites who've kept their ears to the ground)

However, Aaron Selbig posted now so we have at least his part of the story:
Friends,

Over the last few months, the IBEW, which holds the broadcast license for KUDO, has been negotiating with Mike Robbins' company, TATI Broadcasting, to manage the radio station for them. The deal was finally signed sometime last week.

We all knew there would be changes coming when Mr. Robbins took over operations of KUDO, and I welcomed the change. Change was inevitable. I was never led to believe, however, that my job was in danger in any way. I got along well with Mr. Robbins and Cary Carrigan (who is taking the reins of KUDO), thought that I shared their vision for the station, and was confident that I had a future there.

That changed Sunday afternoon when Cary called me down to the studio to "discuss programming changes" at the station. I was then fired, told that my job was being cut to save money. I asked if I was being fired as Programming Director or as host of the Aaron Selbig Show and was told "both".

That, officially, is all that I know.

The rumor mill is churning, I know, with the notion that I was fired for delving into the Bill Scannell/Jake Metcalfe story over the last week or so. It is true that I have been working on connecting the dots with Mr. Scannell's involvement, and posted this on the KUDO website forum last week, when I realized that Mr. Scannell was using our site to post his anti-Berkowitz misinformation. I have been sharing information with other reporters who are working on this story, as well.

I cannot say, however, that my investigation and on-air condemnation of the Scannell affair was what led to my termination. I was told, as I say, that it was done to save money.

I can say, with nothing but joy in my heart, that I have enjoyed these last three years at KUDO, and appreciate the opportunity that was given to me by the IBEW. It was a fun ride, to say the least, and one of the great experiences of my life. I will cherish the friendships I have made over these last three years and will take what I have learned into whatever adventure awaits me. I wish all of my colleagues at KUDO, especially Shannyn Moore, CC and J.R. Zufelt, all the best as they move forward into the future. I'll be listening.

Thank you.

- Aaron Selbig

I'll miss Aaron terribly and I know he'll have another great job soon.

Rumor has it that Shannyn Moore was in a meeting with management this morning while they played a rerun and "Democracy Now!" during her slot. We don't know what's happening (if anything) with Shannyn and CC.

***DEVELOPING, As they say...

5 Comments:

Blogger moosebreath said...

Hi CelticDiva~

"Kudokiddy" from Precinct 1080.

I remembered reading that you had a blog, but I had no clue what the name of it was.

I wound up Googling "CelticDiva" and ~whala~ I found this place!

When I tried to respond here and it asked for my Google blog account, I was getting ready to create one when I typed in my e-mail and discovered that I had created an account back in '06.. LOL! Who knew?!?

As you've probably seen, the Precinct 1080 blog has been scrubbed and there's no way to access it right now. :o(

I was hoping there'd be a way for wayward Kudoites to find each other and I sure hope that some of the others find their way here!

It's been crazy trying to get information on what has happened with Aaron, Shannyn and CC.

I called that Mike dude that Aaron mentioned over at Tati Broadcasting, but he sounded like I was the 10,000th caller of the day. He just sighed and refused to go into any details other than "we had to let Aaron go".

I also called the IBEW and they said that "Melinda Taylor" in the Communications Department was handling all calls regarding the KUDO employees. The receptionist said that Melinda was in, but every time I tried calling I was switched over to her voice mail.

The KUDO phone sounds like it was taken off the hook. Maybe that's Mr. Carrigan's way of dealing with the flood of calls?

What blows me away is how poorly the new producers "Tati Broadcasting" and the IBEW are treating KUDO listeners. No explanations -- no apologies -- no nothing.

Anyway- - I just wanted to touch base with a fello' Kudoite and tell you that I'm glad you're here ... and that I really hope others find their way here so we can connect with one another.

I'll check back in again later tonight.
~ ~ ~ ~

Sign me: Heartbroken in Anchorage.

4/29/2008 7:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Knock, knock.

Anyone home????

Huh.

One day later and no response. Not even from the Diva.

O'well.. :o/ ..I tried.

Moosebreath (kudokitty)

4/30/2008 12:32 PM  
Blogger CelticDiva said...

Girl, I have been writing, writing, writing solidly since Sunday. I didn't have time to deal with comments yesterday - I'm sorry!

I actually know one of the folks that is going into the new organization - Rishi. He is a strongly committed Progressive and he has high hopes so I'll be watching what happens.

4/30/2008 1:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rishi's going back to KUDO?

4/30/2008 10:20 PM  
Blogger CelticDiva said...

Yes - Kathy is morning news and he's afternoon news.

You'll hear him after 12:00 noon.

4/30/2008 10:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home