Celtic Diva's Blue Oasis: The Danger: Losing sight of the issues in the dazzle of Sarah Palin

Friday, August 29, 2008

The Danger: Losing sight of the issues in the dazzle of Sarah Palin

These were comments on my Sarah Palin/VP Candidate thread from a blogger I deeply respect, Radical Catholic Mom:

Diva,

First: This is historic. She is the second female to run for office since 1984.

Second: I worked the polls when Sarah was elected. Dems voted for her, Independents voted for her, and non-voters voted for her.

Third: Both hubby & I worked on her campaign. Last night we were Obama supporters. Now? We are going to have to REALLY decide. This is going to be very tough for us.

Fourth: Don't underestimate her or dismiss her because of whatever. That would be a mistake and not persuasive for undecideds.

8/29/2008 8:29 AM

*************************************

Radical Catholic Mom said...
Correction: VP run for office (excuse me! I sound like an idiot)

8/29/2008 8:48 AM


**************************************
Here's my reply:

CelticDiva said...

Hey, RCM...

I know that the Pro Life folks worked very hard on her campaign...my bro in law did as well.

However, don't lose sight of the issues here because our dazzling Gov. has stepped into the fray.

John McCain proved through the Georgia incident that he will be quick to commit our troops to another war whether we have the troops to spare or not.

John McCain has voted with Bush 90% of the time.

The Republican Party has now yanked drilling in ANWR off the Platform, yet Sarah Palin, the champion of drilling in ANWR is now on the ticket. How much do you really think she's going to have a say in a McCain Administration?

If you honestly look at the Palin Administration...she had nothing to do with "reforming Alaska" other than expose Randy Ruedrich. All of the other "exposure of corruption" was attributable to Ray Metalfe and the FBI.


Additionally, I'd like to add that our economy is failing, health care is at critical mass, the Arctic is melting, we have a hurricane bearing down on a city that still has not gotten the gov't help it needs from the first one...none of these are issues that John McCain and Sarah Palin will fix.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

CelticDiva:

I admire the tactical surprise of a tangential slash across my conciousness, just executed by John McCain. Good job!

For this weekend, I am going to admire the accomplishment of Sarah Palin in her party. It is nice to have good news coming from Alaska for a change.

These events are not going to cause me to change my Progressive ticket vote in any way. I think Obama elevated the campaign this week beyond measure, and rose to the historical importance of the occasion. John McCain and Sarah made me smile, too. Different dimensions.

Thank you for your hard work in Denver.

8/29/2008 1:57 PM  
Blogger i_answer_to_john_most_of_the_time said...

It looks like McCain may have made a mistake. He only talked with her one time and that was last week about being VP. There appears to be several major issues. I'm not a Rep. But he am shocked about a rash decision. He was close in the polls. This just does make sense.

Now the talking heads are starting to talk about McCain's 2 serious runs with cancer. And that the cancer could set i again. The last one needed a 5 hr operation. Is she really ready for the President. She not a very worldly. She is not brillant.

8/29/2008 8:44 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i_answer: Just because McCain picked Daisy Duke for VP is no reason to assume she is not worldly. After all she's been to Bethel, the Paris of the Kuskokwim. She can ride a snowmachine faster, spit further, shoot better, arm wrestle Lyda Green, pick nets, and owns the ugliest dog in Alaska. The last time Dayton saw the likes of her, Mike Fink was poling flatboats up the Ohio River.

8/30/2008 7:29 AM  
Blogger curiosidad202 said...

I think we should all make informed decisions. I do not believe in voting based on race or gender. Following is some interesting information about Sarah Palin.

— Mayoral performance. "Palin, who portrays herself as a fiscal conservative, racked up nearly $20 million in long-term debt as mayor of the tiny town of Wasilla — that amounts to $3,000 per resident. She argues that the debt was needed to fund improvements." However, here is some light into her decision making process:
"- Cut $130,000 for Anchorage police station, yet funds $100,000 for Houston (Mat-Su) football field lights.

- Cuts $500,000 for Anchorage fire station, funds $630,000 for Wasilla Sports Complex Kitchen.

- Cuts $200,000 for roads in South Anchorage, funds $100,000 for bleachers at Palmer High School."

— "The environment. As governor, Palin vetoed wind power and clean coal projects, including a 50-megawatt wind farm on Fire Island and a clean coal facility in Healy that had been mired in a dispute between local and state governments."

—" And, maybe, censorship. According to the Frontiersman newspaper, Wasilla’s library director, Mary Ellen Emmons, said that Palin asked her outright if she "could live with censorship of library books.” Palin later dismissed the conversation as a “rhetorical” exercise. "

I believe in fiscal responsibility. I don't believe in having "rhetorical exercises" on censorship. I believe in a women's right to chose. I believe in equal pay (which McCain has voted against) and I don't believe in teaching creationism in school (my family and my church have taught me about creationism). I think it is amazing that we continue to have women in politics however that does not mean I will vote for someone because they are a woman. In my view, Sarah Palin adds nothing to the ticket but will drive me to campaign harder for Obama.

8/30/2008 8:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home