Celtic Diva's Blue Oasis: "Focus on the Family" goes grade-school...prays for it to rain at Invesco Field during the Democratic Convention

Friday, August 08, 2008

"Focus on the Family" goes grade-school...prays for it to rain at Invesco Field during the Democratic Convention

***************UPDATE 2--8/12***************

I reposted a new YouTube video, as the other one (as well as the video from the FotF website) was yanked.

***************UPDATE***********************

Bent Alaska tells us that Focus on the Family is bringing their Ex-gay Homophobe Show to Abbott Loop.

Hey, I've protested at a church before and I'm up for it again!

**************************************************************************************

It just doesn't get more pathetic than this:



Here's an excellent article about it by Brian Kaylor
Focus on the Family recently posted a video urging Christians to pray for rain. When I heard of that, I figured it must be a response to the horrible drought and famine currently occurring in eastern Africa. You see, countries like Ethiopia and Somalia have experienced a terrible drought this year that is threatening more than 14 million Africans. As the food prices have skyrocketed due to the famine, millions are in danger of starvation. Relief organizations are quickly working to bring in desperately-needed food and medical supplies. But unless relief is provided within the next couple of months, millions could die. So, I figured that a call for American Christians to not only give to these relief efforts but also pray for rain would be something that a group like Focus on the Family would advocate.

Then I watched the “Pray for Rain” video narrated by Stuart Shepard. It turns out he is not praying for his fellow humans in desperate need. Instead, he is calling for Christians to pray for “abundant, torrential” rain as a type of political prank. He wants us to pray that God would cause a strong rainstorm that disrupts Barack Obama’s planned acceptance address during the Democratic National Convention. As Shepard explains his hope for God to literally rain on Obama’s parade, he asked Christians to pray for “rain of biblical proportions” that can create flashflood warnings and “swamp” the roads. You know, the kind of rain that can kill people. Shepard claimed that if such rain occurs, he will declare—like God during creation—“that it is good.”

Now, like Shepard, I cannot claim to know the mind or will of the Almighty. However, I wonder about the priorities of someone who thinks we should focus on praying for a potentially life-threatening rainstorm just to spoil a politician’s big speech. I wonder about the priorities of someone who thinks we should focus on praying for political rain rather than life-saving rain for a place ravaged by drought and famine. I wonder about the priorities of someone who thinks we should focus ministry resources on offering prayer requests like Shepard’s.

Focus on the Family's main office is in Denver. I would love to post a camera outside of that office just to see how many "middle finger salutes" they get while they are driving by during the Convention.

If it doesn't rain...I may actually try to venture INTO their offices...perhaps get an interview with someone there, just to ask if God NOT honoring their prayers means that he's "anointed" Obama?

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am embarrassed by this. Maybe Phil's sarcastic commentary about the Republican woman and her daughter is close to some people's reality. It's not close to mine and I have a hard time taking offense because I gave to NOW even when I was broke and a single mother because it was needed. If FoF is doing this, they are sending a terrible message out about themselves-- and encouraging their members who unfortunately represent ALL Christians, to do the same. These are the same people who curse at the Mormon missionaries (mostly young kids) and Jehovah's Witnesses and the groups walk away thinking, "I'm glad I'm not like them!"

I hope that the Democrats take the high road and don't give FOF the middle finger; I hope they don't even acknowledge this except for afterward and sing, "We thank God for unanswered prayers!" You know the song. I think that the Dems should get some Christian Democrats (I know you have them!) to make a statement on FoF's stand.

8/08/2008 4:39 PM  
Blogger E. Ross said...

Oh, that's why we've had rain all summer in Anchorage - FoF is coming here in Sept. I posted about it this week.

8/09/2008 10:23 PM  
Blogger CelticDiva said...

So, are you saying that God is crying? **snicker**

8/09/2008 10:29 PM  
Blogger E. Ross said...

LOL! And the flat-earth crowd is rather fuzzy on their geography.

8/10/2008 12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home