Celtic Diva's Blue Oasis: Let's ask New Orleans if they believe in Global Warming on Tuesday - if they aren't completely underwater

Sunday, August 28, 2005

Let's ask New Orleans if they believe in Global Warming on Tuesday - if they aren't completely underwater


Well...it's happened. Katrina is Category 5. Her winds hit 160 at about 9:15 AM Eastern. My prayers go out to the people of the Gulf Coast.

While some scientists are saying that global warming could be making storms bigger and badder, other scientists say the effect may not be measurable. I think that what is most on the minds of folks from New Orleans is that they hope Katrina doesn't turn their city into a big bathtub.

I doubt that Kaerick and Monocot are missing Florida right now!

Meanwhile, it seems that the whole issue is about to get much more interesting:

Two environmental groups and four U.S. cities may sue U.S. federal agencies which finance overseas projects which they say contribute to global warming, a federal judge has ruled.

The two federal agencies -- Overseas Private Investment Corporation and the Export-Import Bank of the United States -- had asked the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California to dismiss the lawsuit.

It was brought by Friends of the Earth, Greenpeace and the cities of
Boulder, Colorado, Santa Monica, California, Oakland, California and Arcata,
California.

Judge Jeffrey White ruled on Tuesday that U.S. law allows the groups
and cities to proceed with their lawsuit because they may be affected by
overseas agency-backed projects whose emissions are linked to global
warming.
I don't know how they are going to prove this one, but I'll be watching.

1 Comments:

Blogger monocot said...

No, not missing Florida right now. I'm Rather glad we got out. It's so odd watching news footage of New Orleans. The medical college/hospital my grandfather graduated from is being evacuated. Area's my husband's grandparents lived in, and areas my mom's family grew up in are underwater.

My cousin and aunt in Miami had to deal with quite a bit of tree damage from a tree landing in their front door.

There's still tons more of hurricane season to go, and already another possible hurricane in the works. I fear for my family still in Florida. I think I may have an easier time convincing them to come to Colorado tho ;)

8/30/2005 1:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home